Skip to Content

Why Intestate Succession Is Never Ideal

You have worked hard for your money and the assets you own, but what will happen to these once you pass? If you die without a valid will in place, your property will pass to your heirs through what is called “intestate succession.” What this means is that rather than having your wishes followed as you would have liked while you were alive, the state court will decide on your behalf. The reason it’s in your best interest to have a will is because it could ruffle your loved ones to have your belonging divided up in a way that differs dramatically from what you would have wanted.

Do Not Let a Probate Judge Decide Your Best Interests

Massachusetts state law will choose a relative of yours based on a priority list to be the personal representative of your estate. Usually, that person will be your surviving spouse or domestic partner or a close blood relative. If you do not leave behind a will, then you risk leaving persons such as unmarried partners, friends, or charities with nothing. If you die with minor children, then a judge will need to appoint someone to be the child’s personal guardian to come to a good decision in the best interests of the children. Remember, though, that this may not be what you would have wished.

The reason you should hire an attorney for your estate planning and drafting a valid will is because it is quite complex to fill out the paperwork, have it notarized and duly filed, and making sure your assets are evaluated appropriately. Hiring a skilled attorney is a failsafe way to ensure your wishes are followed after you die and your heirs are clearly stated.

Contact the Percy Law Group, PC to Arrange Your Estate Plan

Don’t risk intestate succession. The wills and estate planning attorneys at Percy Law Group, PC can help you draft a will, trust, or other complex documents that are best handled with the skill of an attorney present. Our experience will come in handy with evaluating your assets, family circumstances, and ensuring your wishes are followed in how your property will be transferred so it does not follow the decisions of a Massachusetts Probate Court Judge if you are left intestate.

Contact us at Percy Law Group, PC for further information regarding how to set up your will or estate plan. We are your legal partners and eager to guide you through what can be a complex process if you try to do it alone. Reach out to our law firm at (508) 206-9900 today or fill out our online contact form for a quick response.