Skip to Content

How Are Child Custody Agreements Modified?


Over time, a change in circumstances might leave you feeling dissatisfied with your current child custody agreement. If a judge decided your child custody arrangement, you must petition the court to have the order amended.

To request a change to your custody agreement in Massachusetts, you must show that:

  1. There has been a significant change in circumstances, such as one parent moving out of state, one parent not adhering to the terms of the agreement, a new home environment presenting a danger to the child, or a change in one parent’s behavior making them incapable of caring for the child
  2. The modification will serve the child’s best interests

Modifications Requested by Both Parties

If you and your ex agree that the custody arrangement needs to be modified, you must both complete and file the required forms to the court in which the initial order was issued. A judge will review your information and determine whether or not to grant the request. If they approve of the agreement modification, you and your ex will receive written notification around 30 days after you filed your petition. However, if the judge needs questions answered before issuing a decision, you will be scheduled for a hearing that both you and your ex must attend.

Modifications Requested by One Party

If only you are seeking to have the agreement modified, you must complete the Complaint for Modification form, detailing the sections of the order that need to be changed and the circumstances that warrant the modification. After receiving your petition, the court will schedule a hearing. You must then mail your ex copies of the modification request forms and the date and time of the hearing.

Retain the Skilled Help of Our Team at Percy Law Group, PC

Our attorneys at Percy Law Group, PC are dedicated to helping families navigate complex and sensitive legal matters. If you are looking to modify your current child custody order or are opposing a petition filed by your ex, we can provide legal guidance.

Call us at (508) 206-9900 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.

Share To: