If you have never filed a personal injury claim, chances are you might not know much about them and, unfortunately, many of us tend to believe in the common myths that are relentlessly perpetuated. Before you get started on pursuing a personal injury claim, take a moment to dispel some of the most common myths about personal injury lawsuits, to ensure you are going in with a clear head about what such cases entail.
Below is a list of the most common personal injury myths and some facts to debunk them:
- My attorney will be able to tell me how much compensation I will receive: An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to provide an estimate of what your case is worth, but it would be impossible to tell you exactly how much you will receive, regardless if you settle through negotiations or go to trial. Too many variables are involved and no two cases are ever alike, so assuming an attorney can provide an exact number for what you will receive is an unrealistically tall order.
- To settle my case, I will have to go to court: Surprisingly, only about 2% of civil suits are tried in court. The majority of personal injury cases are actually settled outside of court through negotiations. Trials are risky for both parties and are generally very expensive, so it is often in everyone’s best interest to in engage in reasonable negotiations. Unfortunately, insurance companies are not always reasonable and will sometimes stubbornly refuse to make an offer that would adequately compensate an injured party. In such rare cases, one would have to take their case to court.
- I can take my time on deciding if I want to file a lawsuit: Every state has what is known as a statute of limitations, which is a timeframe within which you must file your lawsuit. If you miss this deadline, you will forever be barred from pursuing compensation for that particular incident. In the state of Massachusetts, the statute of limitations is three years.
- I do not need a lawyer: Insurance adjusters will certainly do their best to convince you not to hire a personal injury attorney, but the fact remains that you are more likely to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries with skilled legal assistance on your side than you would if you were to represent yourself. Remember, attorneys spend years becoming experts in their area of practice, so assuming you can turn your personal injury case into a do-it-yourself moment is a big mistake.
- I will have another chance to settle my case: Once you settle your case or a verdict is reached, you cannot have another shot at getting more money. The result is final. This is why you will want to ensure it is handled appropriately and that you hire an attorney to ensure no unnecessary mistakes are made.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Massachusetts
At Percy Law Group, PC, our Massachusetts personal injury attorneys are backed by more than 100 years of combined legal experience and a proven track record of success. If you recently sustained injuries that were caused by the negligent or careless actions of another party, now is the time to obtain the skilled legal help you need to ensure you are able to secure the fair and just compensation you deserve.
Get started on your personal injury case today and reach out to our law firm at (508) 718-2545 to request your free initial case evaluation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.