Slip and fall accidents are among some of the most common accidents that occur year-round. However, during the winter season, there are often substantially more hazards that can potentially cause a serious slip and fall accident, which could result in severe and debilitating injuries. It is the duty of a property manager or owner to ensure these risks are mitigated and that the conditions on their property are reasonably safe. Unfortunately, some are negligent in caring for their property and accidents happen. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you might have a viable premises liability case on your hands, for which you could be compensated. Make sure you reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney today.
Below is a list of some tips that can help you avoid a slip and fall injury this winter:
- Look where you walk: This is a good rule of thumb, regardless of the season, but it is especially important during the wintertime, given the dangerous conditions rain and snow can create. Even if you are indoors, wet shoes can track in water and slush, creating a dangerously slippery floor that can easily result in an accident.
- Wear the right footwear: They might not be as stylish as your dress shoes or stilettos, but during the winter, it would be far wiser to wear boots or shoes that are sturdy enough to give you more traction on icy or wet surfaces. If you are really attached to your less practical shoes, bring them with you and change when you reach your destination.
- Use supporting objects: If you walking up or down a flight of stairs, use the handrails. Whenever there are supporting objects available, use them. They can help you maintain your balance, stay upright, and help you recover a little more easily from a potential fall.
- Walk smart: When walking around outside this winter, opt for routes that have fewer hazards, if possible. You should also try to take smaller steps and walk slowly. The bigger your steps are, the greater the potential is for a fall.
- Take your time: If you need to be at a certain place at a certain time, plan appropriately, so you can take your time while walking. If you are in a mad rush to get to where you are going, you could easily slip, fall, and seriously injure yourself.
- Report hazardous conditions: Lastly, if you notice dangerous or hazardous conditions, report them. Slick or untreated pavements should be reported to a property owner or business manager.
If a property owner or business manager cannot immediately address hazardous conditions, warning signs must be posted to alert guests and visitors to any dangers on the property.
Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in Massachusetts
If you or a loved one slipped and fell due to dangerous property conditions and sustained an injury, you have a right to pursue fair and just compensation to cover the costs of your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. However, you will need a skilled legal advocate on your side. At Percy Law Group, PC in Massachusetts, our experienced team of personal injury attorneys is dedicated to fighting on behalf of those who have been wrongfully injured. You should not have to pay for someone else’s mistakes.
Get started on your personal injury case today and reach out to our law firm at (508) 206-9900 to request your free initial case evaluation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.